Thursday, April 30, 2015

Why I Fell Out Of Love With Twilight

     I’ll be the first one to admit that I’m a hopeless romantic. I love love stories. Yes, they’re generally shallow and definitely predictable. But, I don’t analyze them so much. I just read it. When I was younger, reading the books before the movies came out, I was in love with Twilight. I read New Moon in one day. (That was really hard to confess by the way.) Just like we talked about in class, I was young and besides the supernatural part, it was a love story. Being about 12 when I read the book, I didn't know what a love story was supposed to be in real life. I mean at that age how would it not be cool to imagine two guys fighting over your love?

     What changed me loving Twilight was the movie. Yes, I’ll agree that the more we talk about how boring the characters are and how the plot line is very unoriginal that the book would not be my first recommendation to someone. However, what really got me to fall out of love with the whole thing was how strange the acting appeared in the movie. I found this article called “10 Reasons People Hate Twilight,” and it mentioned the acting in the movie. The article described it as “everyone looks like they’re holding in a fart” which is actually true. (Here is a link to the article: http://reelmovienation.com/10-reasons-people-hate-twilight/)

     However, the article also points out something that I agree with but hadn't really thought about before. Everyone gave Kristen Stewart really bad reviews of how awkward she was acting as Bella in the movie. However, I don’t think Kristen Stewart is really that bad of an actress. If we think about how Bella is supposed to be in the book: clumsy, awkward, average looking, a little whiny, and somewhat passive, Kristen Stewart didn't play the part badly. (She may have overdone the awkward part a little.) I think people, including me, were upset with it because how could two guys be fighting over someone THAT awkward?


     I think the biggest problem for me was that the acting in the movie was just not what I was expecting it to be. The characters didn't act or even look how I had imagined them. I also think the movie makes it even clearer that the plot line of the book is really shallow because the movie is rather boring to watch.

4 comments:

  1. Emily, my roommates and I watched the movie the other night because I was curious about how it compared to the book. After watching the movie, I am definitely one of those people who would give Kristen Stewart a bad review! She just wasn't what I pictured mentally while I was reading the books. Yes, Bella is supposed to be awkward and clumsy and passive, but I think she is still passionate and full of life at the same time. Stewart just didn't meet my expectations. In fact, neither did Robert Pattinson. I realize there are times he acts like a jerk towards Bella, ignoring her completely and appearing angry, but in the book there were also times he was sincere and charming and obviously in love with her. For me, that didn't come across in the movie. You're right, the movie is boring to watch - my roommates and I could barely get through the entire thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was forced to watch the movies by a girlfriend in high school, and I had a similar reaction (though, I hadn't read the books at that point). I just mean I thought the acting was terrible. Zero emotion is expressed from Kristen Stewart through any of the three movies I watched. Personally, though, I appreciated the length and intensity of the fight scenes in the films. I think they tried to turn down the emotions in the films and increase the action to make the films more appealing to males to broaden their viewing audience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing that I found interesting was that even Robert Pattinson hated Twilight. Here’s a link to a YouTube video of Pattinson talking about Twilight, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtZAuieMCVQ. In the video he basically lays out everything that is wrong with the book and the movies! When the main actor of the movie doesn’t even like the movie, what does that say about the movie? As for their acting skills, I think that maybe the reason why both Pattinson and Stewart seemed so bad was because of the content of the movie. When there isn’t a lot of emotion or substance for them to play off of, they aren’t going to be able to show their true capabilities as actors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree with all of you guys. I rewatched the movie last night just to remember why I had been so disappointed with it, and it was totally because of the portrayal of Bella. I felt like the whole movie was sounds of her breathing weird.
    It's odd to think that, as a younger girl, this was what I considered a romantic ideal (and still is for a lot of people!). In my own personal experience, I dated a guy in high school who was really controlling of everything I said and did, and Edward is the epitome of controlling. Bella can't talk to another guy without him questioning her, and this is just another example of the sort of unhealthy relationship that Twilight portrays. The movies and the book make complete and total obsession seem like an ideal, and this is sooooo far from the truth, at least in my experience. So, to come back to Hannah's point, we don't get to see the lighter sides of their relationship because the two are so intense all the time. Why do we consider this romance?

    ReplyDelete