Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Reverse Racism

  •  http://www.blackenterprise.com/lifestyle/beverly-bond-responds-white-girls-rock-hash-tag/
     
     I found this interesting article in response to hateful tweets from white women about an award show called "Black Girls Rock", especially targeted at black women who are making a difference in our society, whether in film, music, or their community. Here is my response to those who say "It's not fair that black girls have their own award show- that is sooo racist."
     
    I agree that racism is not limited to only one race hating another. It could be blacks towards whites, whites towards Hispanics, anything. The term reverse racism is not referring to blacks hating whites,which is just called racism, but referring to calling something racist that is actually working against racism/prejudice. But, to say things like "if there were "white girls rock" events, then there would be an uproar". Look around- it is a white's world. It may be hard to see it if you are the majority, and that is called white privilege and its a very real thing. Same with straight privilege and other things like it. As humans, it's more difficult to see/worry/care about things that don't affect us directly. Years of oppression by the majority on the minority (blacks, gays, etc) has given whites a couple award shows and then some, like the author says. It is not blacks against whites, proving they are better in anyway, but representing blacks in a way that whites have been for hundreds of years more. Growing up, I bet you saw a lot more characters "like you" on tv/cartoons. I saw none like me- that is the exact thing this woman is saying when she says that black girls grow up without a picture of them in their own homes. Look at catalogs, advertisements, most movies and tv shows. Blacks or other minorities, if featured at all, are on backs or added to just be the "token " black kid so the company doesn't get backlash. This award show was about proving that black women are more than tokens, they are equal to anyone else. Empowering women, white black gray yellow, should be celebrated. I will teach my babies that everyone is beautiful, everyone matters, and race doesn't. But until we don't see color, I will support the minority when being oppressed by the majority, I will defend what I think is empowering, and I will celebrate everyone.

1 comment:

  1. I am just confused on why the white women were tweeting negative things about the awards. I agree with you completely that empowerment should be encouraged for any group or race, and that contradicting this is itself a kind of expression of racism. Obviously I don't have the same insight into this issue as others might, I am a privileged white male. I don't know what it's like to not see anyone like me on television as a child. Luckily, I think we are living in a society where a movement towards equal representation in media and empowerment of all groups will become the norm. Maybe I'm just optimistic, but I think that is true.

    ReplyDelete