Thursday, April 23, 2015

What Would You Change?

This is kind of off topic from what we’ve been talking about recently in class, but we did talk about the female body image earlier this semester and several of us are talking about it in our final projects. Not long ago a fitness trainer named Cassey Ho posted a post-workout picture to Instagram, and she got a lot of negative comments about her body that she was really hurt and upset by. This is what she posted on her Facebook site:


Official page for fitness trainer Cassey Ho
 · Yesterday at 1:52am · 
I'm so happy that many of you clicked over to watch my short film when you saw my new "perfect" body. You experienced the most powerful video I have ever created. You saw me strip down my confidence and self esteem. You saw me raw. Hurt. And vulnerable. For those who haven't seen it yet, click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsL7W-GHhJA
I wanted to post again because there was a weird phenomenon that happened when I posted this photoshopped picture. On the very same photo, I got some people praising me and others degrading me.
What worries me is this: 1. That some people think this is real and that it should be "goals." 2. That some people still think it's not good enough.
It's tough knowing what's real and what's not when magazine covers and music videos are photoshopped (yes, music videos), Instagram pics are photoshopped, and so many women are getting surgery. How are we to know what kind of beauty can be naturally achieved when everything around us is so deceiving?
If you want to know what you can do to help stop body shaming, all I ask is that you share the video with at least 1 person. That's all.
After countless days of shooting, weeks of editing, visual effects, and lots of hard work from a team of amazing people, my short film was turned into a reality. Thank you to James Chen, James Jou, and Smashbox for helping me bring this to life. ‪#‎madeatsmashbox
I hope you guys liked it. I love you. Stay beautiful.


The link to the YouTube video should work. I just thought it was interesting to see that even fitness trainers are self-conscious about their bodies. I also have the same worries that she states in her post about going to such extreme lengths to look like an unrealistic photoshopped image on the front of a magazine. 

1 comment:

  1. @.@ that's crazy. I think that says so much about our society, that no matter who you are, be it age, gender, orientation, whatever, your body is constantly judged. Why did we get this way and how did it start? I feel like that was part of an essential point in this class but maybe somehow I missed it.

    ReplyDelete