Thursday, April 30, 2015

Sexist Microaggressions

This doesn't really have anything to do with Twilight, but I wanted to share this with you guys. I found it valuable because of the Voices of Discovery group that I was in. We talked about microaggressions and how the subtle things that you say may unintentionally offend someone. Many of these microaggressions are founded in some sort of stereotype or ideal. In this example, he is talking about sexism. As it pertains to this class, I think that these microaggressions have become popular in our vernacular and within our culture. Is he being oversensitive, or bringing up a valid point? Has our culture simply become more "rude"? A couple hundred years ago, our society was all about the niceties of social graces. Now we've evolved to offensive phrases?  Some Words Are Up To No Good, Even If They Seem Harmless. Think It's Time To Get Rid Of These?

3 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the "throw like a girl" campaign that Dove ran for a while. It's interesting that these genders have become associated with strength and weakness through our daily dialogue, and possibly problematic. I think, though, as a general trend men tend to have more muscle mass, and perhaps that's the extent of this phrase's origins, and not anything intentionally demeaning. I think for some reason emotional and mental weakness is associated with the "man up" phrase and I suppose that is way more problematic in my mind, because that comparison is for the most part inaccurate. My girlfriend definitely has a stronger mental fortitude than I do, just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this phrase is definitely harmful for both sexes. For guys, the idea is that men should be emotionally strong and never show that they are sad. Sometimes its nice to have a good cry, it helps you move on :) I think it is harmful for us to keep stuff in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We talked about this issue in my Voices of Discovery class. They said that it often causes men to become more aggressive in nature because they are constantly told that guys should be aggressive and must hide their sensitive side. It is a potentially dangerous tendency in our society that we should be more aware of.

    ReplyDelete