Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Black Noise

I know the reading was assigned for Tuesday, but since we have not discussed it yet, I figured that it would be okay to share my opinions!

After reading Tricia Rose's "Black Noise", I found myself to be kind of confused. It seems as if she is arguing two different things: 1) black female rappers work with black male rappers, and 2) black female rappers work against black male rappers. When mentioning working for or against, I mean openly opposing misogynistic viewpoints and endorsing empowerment of women versus enabling the stigma and oppression that women face in our society today.

As at the bottom of page 148, or 14 off the PDF, Rose states, "Dialogism resists the one-dimensional opposition between male and female rappers as respectively sexist and feminist. It accommodates the tension between sympathetic racial bonds among black men and women as well as black women's frustration regarding sexual oppression at the hands of black men". I feel as if this passage is attempting to describe the internal conflicts occurring in the mind of a female musician, which in turn affects their musical expression.

This obviously reminds me of both Katrina's and Emily's presentations on Nicki Minaj and their different arguments about her music. Is she enabling the stigma that oppresses women, or empowering her female listeners against it?

Also, another take on the subject is why do we feel the need to assign black female rappers with a "purpose"? Why can't women rappers do just that-rap- without having to be picked apart at the seams in terms of their music's messages? We certainly do not analyze the words, action, dress, and disposition of their male counterparts. Is this another way for society and media to oppress black women? I think so.

 I hope that our class discussion clears up her argument for me, because as of now, it seems indefinite and cloudy to me. Is anyone else feeling this sort of confusion about Rose's writings?

No comments:

Post a Comment