Thursday, March 5, 2015

Voices of Discovery - Final Thoughts

I participated in the gender and sexuality Voices group. In the beginning I sat around with strangers, but after only 5 sessions I was able to see everyone as an individual because of the opinions and experiences each person shared, which allowed me to get to know them a bit. I have participated in Voices before, and I love being able to share my thoughts and opinions with people who are interested in sharing theirs too, and having a civil, intelligent conversation. We went over many topics, ranging from gender roles to 50 Shades of Grey, and each topic proved more interesting than the last. I learned a lot about the topics themselves, but most of all I learned about myself.

I guess I once thought of myself as a not very opinionated person. It wasn't that I was indifferent, it was just that I didn't care enough to take a side and have an opinion. For some reason, this thought changed this semester. I have come to realize that I do have many thoughts and opinions and these thoughts and opinions are strong. I want to become educated on worthwhile subjects so that I can have an opinion, and have proof to back it up. One thing I learned in this Voices group, though, that although we can all have differing opinions, there really never is a right nor wrong. Really, there is no right or wrong way to do anything (in a social concept - I definitely don't want you to drink and drive). Who says that men can't like pink, women can't be sexual beings; that a person can't love more than one other, that men can't marry men? Why does there have to be ONE WAY to do things? It makes me angry that people are so judgmental. So many people speak loudly before they have full knowledge or understanding of the subject.

We discussed today in the final session that the theme of awareness was relevant in every day we met and in every topic we discussed. There are so many different sexualities and gender expressions, among other things, that exist that so much of society isn't aware of. Awareness would allow for acceptance (eventually, hopefully) and in the least, an understanding of the difference. The most we can do right now is get people talking, and groups like voices of discovery is the first step. People need to be aware of every possible opinion that there is, from every side involved.

I also enjoyed the free pizza every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment