Sunday, March 22, 2015

Lesbian Pulp Novels: Defining a Generation?

    I found this reading to be full of interesting points, facts, and excerpts from lesbian pulp novels. I feel like the text was an easy read, and I learned A LOT- to be honest, I did not even know such novels existed, let alone their lasting impact on our society!
    First, on page 272, Keller analyzes a text written by Lillian Faderman, which seems to make the argument about these lesbian pulp novels kind of "setting the tone" for a generation of women; the novels helped young women discover who they were by reading stories about others like themselves. Faderman writes that, "...I began to consider myself a lesbian. Almost as soon as I claimed that identity...I looked around for literary representations that would help explain me to myself. I did not have far to look, because the pulp book racks at the local drugstore exhibited a dizzying array of titles...". To me, the author makes it sound as if the novels helped her to become who she really was, in a way, which I think is an awesome argument.
After further analyzing the text, I began to think about how I used books, fiction or non-fiction, to help define myself. I remember trying to find characters like myself, maneuvering through situations that I had encountered or had dreamed about being in. I believe that it's important to identify with a character, not only to have a more relative interest in the reading, but to help create and develop your own identity, who you want to be. This was the first step in creating an inclusive environment for all sexualities and genders, in my opinion. I understand how these novels influenced and helped define a generation of strong women, no matter of what sexual orientation.
    Secondly, I found it to be kind of odd that lesbian novels were so much more numerous that gay novels (page 272-73). Why is this? Why are lesbian characters and storylines somehow more socially acceptable than their gay counterparts? To me, it seems to be a problem with homophobia in the case of the heterosexual male audience- a concept which I think is still an issue in our society today! Lesbians are "cool", "hot", and "sexy" to straight guys, while gay men seem to gross them out. It's weird and not cool- in my opinion, everyone should be considered equal, but I don't want to get started on my soapbox. I hope that our in-class discussion helps to clear this up for me.
ALSO, THE IDEA OF THE FEMININE VS MASCULINE LESBIAN COMES UP YET AGAIN.  UGH.


1 comment:

  1. I think that one of the reasons why lesbians are more socially acceptable than their gay counterparts goes back to our reading of Chauncy. There was time when men sleeping with other men was not considered to be an issue, but it was also not considered to be an act of homosexuality. However, when the shift occurred and men started to feel the need to prove their masculinity by demonstrating their heterosexuality, the strong disapprovals of gay men started because they were not considered masculine and were a threat to the concept of masculinity. I believe that this concept between masculinity and homosexuality still exist today and is why gay men are not as visibly acceptable as lesbians.

    ReplyDelete