Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Project Idea



After reading a blog post about a woman who chose to no longer wear leggings/yoga pants because it is tempting to men, I knew I wanted to write something about women’s dress. I was intrigued by how viral her post went and the subsequent debate it sparked. Realizing that a ten page paper on yoga pants would be a stretch, I knew that I needed to use this as an example of something bigger.

That’s when I found articles on rape culture, linking it to the idea of female dress and dress codes. I had previously dismissed this term as feminazi nonsense without looking into at all. But rape culture is the way that a society collectively thinks about rape. According to Everyday Feminism, “it’s situations in which sexual assault, rape, and general violence are ignored, trivialized, normalized, or made into jokes.”  Our culture constantly objectifies women, and this affects how they are treated and viewed by society as a whole. Another facet of rape culture is that women can control whether or not they are assaulted by how they dress. This is the aspect I will probably look into further.

I’m still researching and looking into exactly how I’m going to tie it all together. So if have any suggestions or input, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment