Thursday, March 19, 2015

Final Project - Toddlers and Tiaras

As I have mentioned previously in class, I would like to focus my final project on the sexualization of beauty pageants, specifically those for children. After the release of The Learning Channel’s hit series Toddlers and Tiaras in 2009, child beauty pageants became more prominently featured in the media. One incident in particular, which was mentioned during one of our class discussions, involved a little girl named Paisley dressing up and performing a routine in a Pretty Woman prostitute costume. I think I would like to focus my project on Toddlers and Tiaras and possibly, more specifically, on Paisley and the “prosti-tot” incident.

 As I was reading some public reactions to Paisley’s costume, I couldn't help but wonder exactly why people were so outraged. Her outfit wasn't necessarily any more revealing or slutty than other toddlers’ pageant-wear. I am curious as to whether it was the outfit itself or the character she was impersonating. I think an interesting path would be to look at various toddlers and their outfits to see which ones raise the most public outcries and see if there are any similarities. I am really not 100% set on an idea, so I am completely open to suggestions, either to how I can accomplish my idea or to other alternatives!   

2 comments:

  1. Such an interesting topic! I think there are a lot of similarities between this topic and some of the subjects we have been discussing in class (children impersonating older women, whether or not they are "in on the joke"). So I think it would be interesting to look at the beginning of child beauty pageants and how they have increasingly become more sexualized over time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an interesting topic! I think there are a lot of similarities between this topic and some of the subjects we have been discussing in class (children impersonating older women, whether or not they are "in on the joke"). So I think it would be interesting to look at the beginning of child beauty pageants and how they have increasingly become more sexualized over time.

    ReplyDelete