Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Project Idea: T-Swift Inspired by Tinder

Mobile dating applications have become increasingly popular with our generation. They are conveniently accessible by one’s phone, which our generation seems to be physically attached to, and are often free. Why not kill some time by looking at people that may be interested in dating you? Not only are they convenient, but they are crazy addictive. I, myself, have the application called Tinder and have frequently found myself simply swiping left or right whenever I find down time. Half the time, I am not even actually looking for a prospective match! It is simply entertaining to see the pictures that people will post and the funny things that men come up with as their bio. For my final project, I want to find a possible answer to the following question: have mobile dating apps increased my generation’s public display or views of sexuality? To answer this question, I want to explore personal narratives about experiences people had with mobile dating apps. There have been many popular magazine articles that have featured people’s experiences with Tinder and other mobile dating apps. Upon some research, I came across an analysis done by a psychotherapist. She stated that our generation is more apt to do things that are morally vague but is also less concerned with being labeled as a slut because of the access we have to these mobile dating apps. In response to this information, I also want to analyze Taylor Swift’s popular song “Shake It Off” to expose my generation’s tendency to undervalue our peer’s criticisms of our sexuality.  Hopefully if there has been a change in our sexuality because of these technological advances for our social interactions, we can at least become aware of the change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment