Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Pussy Pouch versus the Penis Shirt

So as I was scrolling through my Facebook newsfeed this morning, I came across this, and had to stop.
http://www.bustle.com/articles/72169-how-the-damnsel-pussy-pouch-can-change-the-way-we-think-about-being-a-woman?utm_source=bustle&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=fbpost
Essentially, what I saw as the thumbnail was the image of a purse with a vagina on it, and that lovely purse is called the Pussy Pouch. I would definitely recommend reading the article because it is really interesting and deals with how women don't take up a lot of space and sit in a state of fear, while men do not, and how this led the designer to designing a purse that flaunts her femininity openly and provocatively. However, the major takeaway I got from it was how afraid the author of the article was to first, look into the purse/project, and second, how she felt if she owned it that it would take her a week to build up the confidence to carry it outside. That brought me to this (and it is quite graphic... its a photo of a penis on a shirt:
http://www.betterthanpants.com/white-penis-shirt-t-shirt.html 
Now, I would like to believe that I know no guys who would wear this shirt, but unfortunately, I can think of one or two guys that I know that would have no problem wearing this out in Vermillion and would find it hilarious. I thought this was a really large contrast to the Pussy Pouch, which is not nearly as sexually explicit as the shirt. This led me to all kinds of ideas about how phallic representation is seen as more acceptable than yonic, which is used so much less that google chrome is telling me it is not even a word. Anyway, all of these thoughts filled me to the point that I felt I should probably share this here! So here you go! The Pussy Pouch and the Penis shirt.

2 comments:

  1. Also, if you have $650 and desperately need the Pussy Pouch or just want to learn more, here is the actual store: http://damsel.myshopify.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I literally just saw the title of your post and exclaimed "oh my! (like a grandmother") before I actually read the contents of the post. I find it interesting that the purse is advertised in the photo on the website with a naked woman behind it. It obviously signifies the fact that the purse is a woman's genitalia over the actual physical woman's genitalia, but that it cannot be hidden. What I wonder is if you were seen carrying this purse, if people would take the purse as a vagina, or if they would think it was an awkward coincidence that the two look the same. I feel like people would be almost ashamed to address the fact that it is a vagina, even though penises get drawn all over desks and bathroom stalls everyday. That then brings us to the topic of boobs and butts though....why are they so easily shown and accepted, but anything with a vagina is not? This reminds me of a....vagina pillow? that was a model of the vagina for young girls to learn about their bodies. I believe it was shown on Ellen? There was some upset about the fact that it was an actual, physical representation of a vagina. My friend's mom was outraged (we were in middle school). It is indeed very interesting that men would, probably, wear a penis shirt while women would have to second guess about wearing/carrying something that represented their genitalia.

    ReplyDelete