Saturday, February 21, 2015

This is quite random, BUT....

LITERALLY I just looked at Facebook and saw that the Powerpuff Girls cartoon series is being rebooted for 2015-2016

http://www.tv.com/news/powerpuff-girls-reboot-2016-adventure-time-steven-universe-renewed--142445551409/

With the newfound perspective this class has given me, my first thought was the fact that this show is about female superheroes. Of course, there are many a movies where there are indeed female superheroes, but they're always super sexualized (Catwoman anyone?). Whereas in Powerpuff Girls, these characters are literally girls in boxy dresses, and the sexualization is slim to none (unless I need to rematch and analyze it more). My question to the class is: What do you think about this reboot? Why do you think Powerpuff Girls, out of all the popular 90's cartoons people beg to come back on TV, was chosen? If you had little girls, would you want them watching this show? Do you think the show does a good job at depicting feminine power?

I personally never LOVED this show....but now that I'm older, I can appreciate what it stands for. Three little girls kicking bad guy booty, without the help of a boyfriend. PLUS! They're being raised by a single male parent!

4 comments:

  1. I honestly have not watched the show since I was about twelve, but I think you are correct that on the girls' physical appearances specifically they are not sexualized. I would question how many adult jokes are actually in the show (kind of like with Disney movies) because those would have gone over our heads as children, and they easily could be present and possibly downgrade any feminine power that the show seems to showcase on the surface. Also, I think I would let my children watch the show just so I could hear the theme song, but that might just be me personally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because everything was better in the 90s, Katrina! (j/k) But thanks for sharing -- I'll have to check it out. Speaking of great cartoons from the 90s with female protagonists, are any of your familiar with Daria?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a Powerpuff Girl for Halloween in 1st grade!!!!!!! Blossom was definitely my favorite. So, needless to say, I'm excited. I as well am interested to see what went completely over my head as a child, too. One of the other things I liked about it was the fact that each girl had a different and very distinct personality from the other. I read somewhere that people who animate shows have trouble diversifying the women in terms of facial expressions and personalities (What???). Again, time may have clouded my judgement, but I will definitely be checking this out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a Powerpuff Girl for Halloween in 1st grade!!!!!!! Blossom was definitely my favorite. So, needless to say, I'm excited. I as well am interested to see what went completely over my head as a child, too. One of the other things I liked about it was the fact that each girl had a different and very distinct personality from the other. I read somewhere that people who animate shows have trouble diversifying the women in terms of facial expressions and personalities (What???). Again, time may have clouded my judgement, but I will definitely be checking this out.

    ReplyDelete