Monday, February 16, 2015

Preparing to watch Birth of a Nation

I remember watching bits of Birth of a Nation in high school. Then, it didn't affect me as much as I know it will now. I was naive in high school, and I didn't care about real world issues. Of course I still thought racism was terrible, but now I know I will be able to read more into Birth of a Nation than my first time viewing it. I am more aware of cultural differences that still exist today, even in small communities like Vermillion. Sadly, the movie being entitled "Birth of a Nation" is exactly what is it, although not in the way that the creators intended it. The movie was intended to be a birthing of a nation of white supremacy, but really it birthed a nation that is messed up. Our country's history is embarrassing. Racism, sadly, can still be found prevalent today, whether or not people like to admit it. Birth of a Nation should be analyzed in a way that reveals the ignorance a society can have. Skin color is such a stupid difference to focus on. Even among my white friends, they want to be tan and criticize me, asking if I had ever heard of a tanning bed. Why is beauty and intelligence based off of skin color?

3 comments:

  1. I had the same experience in high school with being pressured to be tan. At the time, I wanted to be like everyone else, so I tanned as well. As I've gotten away from them, I've learned that it does not really matter if I'm tan year round or if I let my tan fade from summer. To this day, many of my friends are spending hundreds of dollars they don't really have to change their skin color. In my opinion, they could be spending their money on much more important things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I see the point you’re making with your tanning example, I don’t think we can equate being criticized for not tanning and being discriminated against for the actual color of your skin and all the historical ramifications that come with it. A black person faces much bigger struggles than a really pale white person. I think tanning seems to be more of an aesthetic desire. I think people go tanning because when you’re tan, you look thinner but it’s not trying to make yourself another race. In the end, the white person who tans is still white; they don’t face the same hardships and discrimination as black people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with what you said. The comparison between blackness and being tan can both relate to aesthetic preference, but essentially it does not hold the same significance as the racial discrimination displayed by our past. Movies such as Tarzan and The Birth of a Nation both depict such a negative view on blacks that goes beyond the pressures to look good.

      Delete