Monday, January 19, 2015

Rowson's Style

I rather enjoy Susanna Rowson’s style of writing. I found it interesting that she formatted some chapters to show you a scene and then to go back and explain the lives behind the characters. For instance, she begins the novel with an opening scene of Montraville seeing Charlotte Temple outside of church.  She then begins the very next chapter explaining who Charlotte Temple’s father is so that the reader begins to form an idea of who Charlotte is based on knowledge about her parents.  I also find it somewhat humorous and delightful that Rowson takes the time at some points to give an aside to the reader and explain her exact views on a subject before continuing the story. I find it comical because she still tries to maintain good graces of society with the reader. It is as if she says “by the way, audience, I do not condone what is about to happen because I am a lady but this is what happened.” This is evident multiple times when she fails to procure in detail the contents of Montraville’s letter to Charlotte and Montraville’s reasons for wanting to Charlotte to run away with him. That being said, I do think that she tries to stay in the favor of the reader to keep them reading because this novel came out in a time when the activities of a woman are very public and very heavily judged. Rowson claims to refuse to reveal in too much detail Montraville’s letter because she says that she does not wish for young women to become enchanted and day dream about kind things that men may say. Which is ironic to be reading in today’s society when books like 50 Shades of Grey are so explicit in their detail and are written primarily to enchant. If anything, I was somewhat displeased by the lack of detail. I wanted to read every lovely thing that Montraville must have said to Charlotte; if only to be able to mentally live a romance and day dream about a man saying such sweet nothings to me. 

1 comment:

  1. I totally know what you mean! I want to hear all the juicy details, too. But honestly, like you said, I'm sure Rowson did that on purpose. Her book serves more as a warning for young girls to not make themselves improper, and including all of the details of Charlotte and Montraville's courtship (if you can even call it that) would turn the book into a romance novel...and good girls of the late 18th century don't read suggestive romance novels. Even today I feel like there is a stigma against it.

    ReplyDelete