Thursday, January 15, 2015

Interesting Photo I Found on Pinterest






This photo is ironic because it goes against social norms. Most people believe the men to be the strong powerful protector and in this photo the man is naked and positioned in a very vulnerable position. Most people would be uncomfortable with this picture because men are supposed to be masculine and strong, not weak and vulnerable.

"

"This photo is ironic because it goes against social norms. Most people believe the men to be the strong powerful protector and in this photo the man is naked and positioned in a very vulnerable position. Most people would be uncomfortable with this picture because men are supposed to be masculine and strong, not weak and vulnerable."

 

I found this photograph posted on Pinterest (we even talked about that in class today!) and here is the caption that goes along with it. I thought that it fit the discussions in our class perfectly. Though I hate to admit that I have conformed to the ideas of "gender roles" in our society, it did shock me as I first scrolled by; now, the more I look at it, the more I love it and what it stands for! Hopefully you all find it interesting as well..

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Definitely and unexpected approach to a fashion shoot! Do you know what it reminds me of? Annie Leibovitz's Rolling Stone cover of John Lennon and Yoko Ono from 1981!
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/1981-rolling-stone-covers-20040511/rs335-john-lennon-yoko-ono-36087675

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all your points - it definitely seems to put the women in the place of power. Although, I find it interesting that the man, put into a weak position, still has bulging muscles. Is that to show even a "masculine" male isn't always the strongest? Are muscles only for show, and not necessarily an accurate indicator of power? Or is it that the male model chosen for this photo just so happens to have muscles..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I honestly did not even consider that!! Right when I started reading your post, I thought of something else- are the muscles evident to show that, even in his most vulnerable state, the man STILL holds the power, strength, etc. over the woman?! VERY interesting observation which I believe could be interpreted in various ways.

      Delete